Tuesday, June 4, 2013 - 2:29 AM

West Perth led until the fifteen minute mark of the last quarter but were unable to stop East Perth who ran out nineteen point winners in the end.

The Falcons cause was not helped by the fact that they suffered three injuries within the first ten minutes of the game. This impacted on the number of rotations available to West Perth, especially in the last quarter. The loss didn’t take away from the great achievement of Matt Guadagnin to achieve Life Membership by playing his 150th game. He has been a great servant of the Club. Young gun Aaron Black played his 50th game and we look forward to him playing many more.

West Perth hit the scoreboard early thanks to a major to the skipper, Jason Salecic, who took advantage of a free kick to run into an open goal. Three behinds followed as the Falcons dominated play before Scott Lycett goaled for the Royals from the square. Josh Mellington scored on the run from fifty before the Royals went forward to score and reduce the margin to just three again. A number of West Perth players then combined to get the ball into the hands of Anthony Tsalikis who snapped a beauty from thirty.

This was half way through the term but another goal wasn’t kicked until the twenty seven minute mark. Seven behinds were kicked in this time, most to East Perth. Matt Johnson took the lead out to ten when he took advantage of a free down the ground after “Slick” was tackled after his kick but the four point quarter time lead was achieved after Michael Swan kicked the first of his three for the game. At the first change the Falcons led 4.4 (28) to 3.6 (24).

At different times of the game West Perth looked like taking control but on each occasion were reeled back in by East Perth. This occurred at the start of the second quarter when cohesive football by the Falcons saw goals to Anthony Tsalikis, Jason Salecic and debutant Steven Potente take the lead out to twenty three. East Perth managed replies to stay in the game as the Falcons looked likely to break the game open. Michael Swan and Dean Cadwallader stepped up to keep East Perth in touch. Other Falcons players to score goals were Matt Johnson, Aaron Black and Nick Rodda who continued his strong marking form. The West Perth lead at the main break was fifteen; 10.6 (66) to 7.9 (51).

West Perth once again got the jump early when an unselfish Josh Mellington pass set up Anthony Tsalikis for his third. A precise handball enabled “Slick” to kick his fourth and the lead was out to twenty seven after five minutes. The next two went to the Royals courtesy of a second to Dean Cadwallader and Josh Smith. Anton Saylor extended the lead to twenty three at the nineteen minute mark before East Perth once again steadied to reduce the margin to twelve before a second to Nick Rodda gave West Perth an eighteen point advantage going into the last quarter. They had increased the margin for each of the three quarters and led 14.10 (94) to 11.10 (76).

The last quarter was all East Perth as they took advantage of the lack of rotations available to the Falcons. They scored six goals to none to run out nineteen point winners. There was no doubting the endeavour of West Perth but with the circumstances that prevailed they were unable to run out the game. Final scores were East Perth 17.12 (114) to West Perth 14.11 (95).

Best players for West Perth were Shane Nelson, Josh Mellington, Andrew Strijk, Michael Pettigrew and best was the evergreen Anthony Tsalikis. Congratulations to the Reserves who came from behind to beat the top placed East Perth. This is two weeks in a row that they have beaten the top placed Reserves team. Congratulations to the award winners who were Jack Thrum, Kris Shannon, Shaun Marusic and best was Luke Meadows who played up from the Colts. A number of these players will be called on when West Perth does battle with league leaders Claremont at the Arena on Saturday. With only a five day turn around and the injuries from this week it promises to be an interesting game of football.