Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:09 PM

Second spot on the ladder was up for grabs when the Falcons took on the Demons at the Arena Joondalup on Saturday.

An impressive four quarter effort by West Perth saw them run out comprehensive thirty six point victors and finish the round with a 6-2 record. The Falcons midfield provided the forwards with plenty of opportunities and this was rewarded with five of them kicking two or more goals.

Paul Bevan was very busy for the Demons early kicking their first two scores. Their seven point lead was reduced to just one after Anton Saylor took advantage of some good work by Anthony Tsalikis to score from forty. Consecutive behinds to the Falcons gave them the narrowest of leads before Fraser McInnes got clear to score a major. Each side took it in turns kicking goals in the first term and Josh Mellington continued the trend with a strong mark and conversion from forty. It was the first of three for the day in a strong display that included time in the midfield. Ashley Smith kicked a long bomb from sixty before Anton Saylor scored his second after taking the ball off hands. It was no surprise when Perth scored the next but the last for the term went to Anthony Tsalikis who marked and scored from fifty. “Slick” kicked three for the day and took ten marks in an impressive display. It was an even first term and at its end the Falcons held a one point lead; 4.3 (27) to 4.2 (26).

West Perth went a long way towards setting up victory with a three goal to none second quarter. They controlled the term for large periods and the defence combined to pressure the Perth forwards out of scoring opportunities. Behinds were the order of the day until the twelve minute mark when West Perth led by three. At this point in time Josh Mellington kicked to big man Nick Rodda who scored from thirty. Shortly after Marc Crisp received a free twenty out and converted. The last goal of the half went to Nick Rodda who scored his second from forty five. A dominant quarter saw West Perth lead by twenty one at the main change; 7.8 (50) to 4.5 (29).

Josh Mellington got the ball rolling in the third quarter when he ran onto the ball and scored on the run from fifty. Paul Bevan then bobbed up with his second and Perth’s first since the twenty six minute mark of the first quarter. West Perth then iced the game by kicking the next five goals and taking the lead out to fifty two after eighteen minutes. It was an impressive display of team football. Anthony Tsalikis scored from thirty, a terrific intercept by Jordan Jones set up Josh Mellington for his third, “Slick” marked outside fifty, played on and kicked his third and Jason Salecic took advantage of great forward line pressure to hit the scoreboard. Welcome back “Sala”!

The final goal in the run went to big man Chris Keunen who showed his skills by intercepting a kick out of defence and running into goal from thirty. The last three goals of the quarter went to dangerous Perth forward Brennan Stack. Up to this point he had been held to just one possession. At the final change West Perth held a six goal advantage; 13.11 (89) to 8.5 (53).

Matthew Johnson scored from thirty within two minutes to extend the lead but Brennan Stack kicked his fourth in a quick reply. Matthew Johnson then soccered his second from the square in a hectic start to the final term. The teams continued to trade goals with a second to the Demons Michael Florio, Matt Guadagnin then took the footy from a spillage to kick accurately and take the lead out to forty three.

The next two goals went to Perth and the lead was reduced to thirty with just minutes to go. Jay Van Berlo kicked the last for the game after an assist from Anthony Tsalikis. The teams had fought a draw in the last quarter but it was enough for the Falcons to record a six goal victory. Final scores were; 17.13 (115) to 12.7 (79).

It was an impressive victory to the Falcons who appeared refreshed after their two week break. Players to receive awards included Anton Saylor, Chris Keunen, Josh Mellington, Anthony Tsalikis, Dan Hunt who is in wonderful form and best was Jordan Jones whose use of the footy set up many attacking moves.

The Reserves recorded a very good victory against top side Perth. It was just reward as they have been very close to victory on a number of occasions. Best players included Cameron Branch, Matt Fowler, Kris Shannon, Steven Potente, Laine Rasmussen and best was Brayden Antonio. All of these players and a number of others are ready to make the step up to league footy when the opportunity arises. Another tough round of football starts next week with the WA Day Derby at Medibank Stadium on Monday. Be there to help get the boys over the line.