Monday, August 21, 2017 - 2:18 PM by Darrell Kent

WEST Perth was competitive against Subiaco until the 10-minute mark of the fourth quarter. At different times during the game the Falcons challenged the home team to close the gap and appear a winning chance but they had no answer for the Lions late in the game as they piled on the last eight goals. 

The loss should have been the end of the Falcons finals chances but Perth’s defeat of East Perth has left the door ajar for West Perth to claim a finals spot. There are a few ifs involved though. If West Perth beat Claremont and Subiaco defeat East Perth then the Falcons will play finals football. A Swan Districts loss to East Fremantle also could see West Perth advance depending on percentage. If Claremont beat West Perth the Tigers are a chance to prolong their season. So it is fair to say that the last week of fixtures is going to be a beauty.

It was an even first quarter with both sides having seven scoring shots. Unfortunately inaccuracy was a problem for West Perth and as a result they didn’t get reward for effort. Subiaco scored the first but at the six-minute mark Tyson Moulton kicked West Perth’s first. He took the ball off hands from a throw in to thread it through. At this stage the Falcons were a point in front but it wasn’t to last long. The Lions controlled play to kick the next four and as a result they led by 22 points going into time on. Tyler Keitel scrambled one through at the 25-minute mark and as a result West Perth trailed by 15 points at the first change; 5.2 (32) to 2.5 (17).

West Perth didn’t trouble the scorer in the second quarter but it wasn’t through lack of effort. They had the opportunities but didn’t take advantage of them. They fought hard and limited Subiaco to three goals but at the main break they had a big job in front of them trailing by 37; 8.6 (54) to 2.5 (17).

West Perth began the third term the best and by the 19-minute mark had reduced the margin to 24 points. Aidan Lynch scored on his left with a snap from close in and Jay van Berlo kicked one after receiving a free and 50. The Falcons were up and about but as was the case all day Subiaco stepped up and kicked the last three goals of the quarter. The home team showed the ability to meet any challenge posed by West Perth and it became obvious during the game how they had managed to maintain their impressive winning streak. It would be fair to say that the Falcons broke even for the term but it didn’t stop Subiaco from marginally increasing their half-time lead. They led by 42 points at the final change; 11.9 (75) to 4.9 (33).

Keitel scored his second soon after the resumption of play. He marked just inside 50 and kicked accurately. The Lions scored four consecutive behinds before Andrew Strijk hit the scoreboard. He snapped one on his left from 20m and at the 10-minute mark the margin was 34 points. No one would have expected the finish that was to come. West Perth appeared to be holding their own but in an impressive display Subiaco piled on eight unanswered goals and as a result scored a comprehensive 82-point win. The Falcons appeared unlikely to win but the final margin was a big surprise. At the final siren Subiaco had scored a 19.14 (128) to 6.10 (46) victory.

The Colts started the day with an impressive win but the Reserves went down. Best for West Perth included Jay van Berlo, Aidan Lynch, Kody Manning, Blake Wilhelm, Trent Manzone and Shane Nelson. A big congratulations to Kody Manning who played his 100th game. Few players have put their body on the line as much as this tough and talented player. 

West Perth supporters need to not only be at Claremont Oval this week to see a season defining contest but to recognise Aaron Black who will play his 150th game that will earn him a well-deserved life membership. If there is ever a game that needs the West Perth army to turn out this week is it. 

See you there.